Are you among those who can’t imagine their life without fans? But you can do nothing when there is no electricity. You have to live with the power cut until the electricity comes back. But do you know science has invented a solution for this as well? Yes, you have heard it right. And still, if you have any of what we are talking about, let us help you. We are talking about electricity generators Australia. Generators have simplified our lives a lot. If you are interested in knowing more about generators, read on
What is a Generator?
A generator is a mechanical device that converts mechanical energy into electrical energy which can be used at home, offices, and other industrial and commercial places. The source of mechanical energy can be water turbines, wind turbines, gas or steam turbines, hand cranks, or internal combustion engines.
Do not confuse yourself by believing that generators can be used in the production of electricity. Rather, the generator uses an external source to convert mechanical energy into an output of electricity. The mechanical energy is supplied to the generator at a force which in turn creates a flow of electric charges in the wire present in the external electrical circuit. This flow of electric charges gives an output of electrical current which is supplied by the generator. It works on the principle of electromagnetic induction.
Parts of a Generator
A generator is composed of multiple parts. The main components are listed below.
- Coolant system
- Fuel system
- Lubricant system
- Battery charger
- Voltage regulator
- The frame or the main assembly
- Control panel
Types of generators
Generators are classified based on their application. The various types of generators based on their application are
- Standby Generators- These are one of the best generators. These generators automatically turn on whenever there is a power cut. Therefore these are used in residential houses, offices, hospitals, and other commercial places.
- Portable Generator- Just as the name suggests portable generators are very handy and can be carried easily. It is very useful in emergencies like natural calamities and disasters. In these situations there is grid power breakdown, this is where they prove to be of great help. It can also be used for residential and small commercial purposes.
- Industrial Generator- These are large commercial generators. They are comparatively more robust and can perform in harsh conditions as well. They are customized as per the need of the commercial establishment.
- Inverter Generator- This generator uses AC power which is later converted into DC power which is again inverted to AC power to provide a steady current supply. These types of generators are best for appliances like refrigerators, air conditioners, automobiles, and recreational vehicles.
These are some of the basic types of generators that you should know about. Each generator has its function depending on the application or the need. It is a mechanical device that can be used for the conservation of energy because it does not produce energy rather it converts one form of energy into another.